This was sitting in my drafts forever…
So this is a quick easy recipe for an almost carb-free popcorn chicken. I say almost cause it really just depends on your flour you use but I think even then it’s very minimal. The coconut flour I used was the organic coconut flour from Sprouts Farmer’s Market. From what I can remember it wasn’t that expensive…
What you need:
- Chicken thigh meat ( cut to pieces )
- Garlic powder
- Coconut flour
- Optional: other seasonings to preference
1. First prepare your thigh meat by cutting it into bite sized pieces. You can use other cuts but I haven’t tried it personally, I’d imagine you’d get more of a ‘chicken filet’ or nugget taste/texture..
2. Prepare an egg wash in one bowl and the flour in another bowl. For the flour add salt, pepper, and prefered seasonings if desired.
3. Flavor the chicken to preference. For this recipe, garlic powder was used. 😊
4. Coat the pieces in an egg wash and then coat with the coconut flour. Since you’re working in batches at a time ( depending on the size of your fryer / pot ) you can just prep as you go.
5. Cook until pieces brown like the first image or if you like a little more crunchy you can let it darken a bit more. 😊
The end taste isn’t exactly like normal popcorn chicken cause the flour gives it a more… Nutty taste. It’s not a bad substitute though if you want something guilt free 😋